Durham Rescue Mission Housekeeping Supervisor
Job Location: Durham, NC 27701
- The primary function of the Housekeeping Supervisor will be to oversee the work activities of a team of housekeepers to ensure clean and orderly facilities including assigning duties, inspecting work, and investigating complaints regarding housekeeping service.
- In addition to maintaining our vision by adhering to our values, this position must provide the highest level of service to Durham Rescue Mission staff, clients, guests and vendors while maintaining a professional and friendly demeanor.
- Under the general supervision of the Facilities Director.
- STATUS: Full Time- Non-management
- Hourly Non-Exempt
- Oversee Housekeeping department on a daily basis.
- Responsible for the following properties: Men’s Chapel, Center for Hope, Clegg Dormitory, Ball Dormitory, Building 3, Good Samaritan Inn, Training Center and Thrift Stores
- Develop and train custodial personnel by instructing them in the proper methods and use of materials and equipment for safe and efficient work performance.
- Develop training materials to be used to train custodial personnel.
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment in order to prevent damage or injury.
- Coordinate with Lead Supervisors any schedule changes and arrange for replacements in cases of absences.
- Establish and educate staff and clients on cleanliness, tidiness and hygiene standards.
- Ensure compliance with safety and sanitation policies in all areas.
- Ensure that all rooms and common areas including stairways are kept clean and free of hazards.
- Advise the Facilities Director on the condition of DRM facilities by conducting regular inspections of those areas and reporting the results of the inspections with particular emphasis on needed repairs.
- Track deep cleaning check lists to insure completeness.
- Supervises the duties and tasks of laundry staff.
- Assist in special cleaning requests.
- Receives, investigates, and handles complaints regarding housekeeping service and equipment, analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Provides continuity of custodial services under emergency conditions or unique circumstances by performing custodial duties directly related to the emergency conditions or as the situation dictates.
- Ensure that custodial personnel have the equipment and supplies necessary to perform custodial services by issuing supplies as needed and submitting requests for replacement items to the Purchasing Agent.
- Identify the developmental needs of custodial personnel and coach, mentor, or otherwise help clients improve their knowledge or skills.
- Ensure that administrative records and reports regarding custodial personnel are accurate and current by reviewing employee time cards and monitoring employee absences.
- Motivate team members and resolve any issues that occur on the job.
- Make recommendations to improve service and ensure more efficient operation.
- Provides a high level of customer service at all times; remains professional.
- Other duties as assigned by manager or other management.
- Attend Staff meetings.
- Keep phone, radio, email and text communications responsive
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Work an 8 hour day
- Lift medium amount of weight
- Stamina to handle the physical demands of the job
- Driver’s license
- Interact with staff, clients and the public
- Work overtime if necessary
- Ability to use industrial cleaning equipment and products.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer skills (MS Office-Word-Excel)
- Problem Solving, decision making and prioritizing
- A good understanding of sanitation regulations and team management abilities
- Exhibits the ability to teach others how to do their jobs in a friendly, courteous and effective manner
- Ability to convey information and ideas clearly
- Ability to follow directions thoroughly and work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate the ability to follow schedules and multi-task
- Analytical/troubleshooting skills to assist in diagnostic procedures to improve efficiency
- Excellent organizational and team management skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
Training and Experience:
Training and Experience:
- 2-3 years of housekeeping experience and/or training in custodial work.
- 1-3 years of experience in leading or supervising the activities of other staff preferred.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Submitting Your Application
Once you have downloaded and filled out the PDF application above, upload and submit your completed application and if available, your resume and cover letter using the form below.